An Inspiring Memory | (You Have The Power Now)



Nairobi 1989. | Uncle Githui and I |
 I've always thought of this guy as a big brother. I remember walking quite a bit around the city with him and one my fondest memories, even as a young adult today came during this time period.
 There were things I used to see that affected me greatly. There were these kids called "Parking Boys" (underprivileged kids without a home) that heavily occupied Nairobi streets, either terrorizing every day working people, sniffing glue or doing something that warranted immediate attention.
 I empathized with them and I remember asking my uncle "why are they like that?" "Where are their parents?" "Will they live like this forever?"
 There where times where I would see them digging in the garbage trying to salvage whatever was left and that's when I summoned my uncle and I to head into this store called Nakummat in order to get them a snack or two.
 This one particular day in City Centre, where mobs of these kids were hanging out, my Uncle and I decided to go into the store and get them whatever we could afford. We left with several loaves of bread, queen cakes, some bananas and a juice called Ribena. When we exited the store, I'll never forget it, it was like a scene from the thriller video where these kids were zombie-esque approaching us as if they felt the goodies were for them and they were correct. As we took a few steps forward, it felt like they took 10, eager and filled with excitement. Before we could open our mouths and the bags, they seized the items and some cried tears of joy and thanks, while the others let their eyes and act of tearing open the bags do the talking for them.
This experience shaped my sensitivity and perspective forever and when I recently saw my Uncle a few weeks ago, we looked at each other, talked a bit and smiled as we went down memory lane for a moment. A bond and an experience that forever inspired me.
 As I look at it now, it reinforces my belief that we can be of service now. You don't have to be wealthy, popular or live with this idea of "wait until I'm famous". No act is too small, so you don't have to wait for your status in life to be commensurate with your heart.
 SM

Comments