Kindness Is NOT A Weakness: It's A Gift We Must Share

Once upon a time five years ago, when I was a toddler in the Entertainment industry, finding his balance on a crowded landscape, I was told "you're too nice and that might be an issue". Those words were from my very first Commercial Agent that I started freelancing with.  The tone of her voice, reminiscent of that of your caring grandma, resonated with me today in a profound way as I sat in this cafe in SoHo, wiping crumbs from my mouth as I stared through the window day-dreaming.  For roughly five minutes, It was if I was painting a canvas with my eyes, watching interactions, some of which didn't look too pleasant, body language that melted with each action and it dawned on me, that I'm living in a city where everyone is either moving too fast going nowhere or are too "busy" trying to find their place in society, that they forget about how vital people are to their world.  As I stood up from the stool beneath me, I made my way toward the door and started strutting toward 8th avenue. Along the way, I couldn't count how many people I bumped into that were either buried so far into their phone that they became their phone, how obnoxious and rude people communicated toward each other and how often I heard the phrase "I'm too busy", it's as if there aren't 24-hours in a day.

At times, I reflect on my life, the wonderful people I've met that have shaped my ideology and I realize that we live in a world where being good, being kind is almost like an extinct trait. It's as if human beings striving to be good are being poached and we no longer value anyone, make time for or want anything to do with people that aren't helping us "grow".  I don't necessarily mean spiritually or psychologically, but grow as in successfully.. (my brand, my success, my career, my...my..my).

I've created a journal over the last 5 months on interactions I've had with people, whether at work, on a train, bus, at an audition, on a set, through volunteer work or just shooting the breeze in passing and it's alarming how many of those people return an e-mail, a call or a message. It's as if we've been conditioned to think that everybody wants something from us and that is far from the case. I remember when it was cool to send someone a letter of thanks, a follow up or reach out to explore life, etc. Many of us value human interaction, a good spirited conversation all which make life so much more wholesome. Instead, we're trapped between reality and fantasy, keeping ourselves fixated on mediums, as time passes us by, giving us the illusion that we're being more productive than we really are.  Instead, what it IS doing is damaging our interpersonal communication skills and dividing us sadly, almost making us forget how the small things in life make us feel so incredible, lively and endearing.

In closing, take time to give others your attention, your time, a platform, a voice. There's no such thing as being too nice or too kind. Of course, one must know when MUCH is enough, especially in regard to getting taken advantage of. However, all we have in this life is each other, not our titles, not our net worth, not our possessions. All we have is us and when we realize that, we'll empower each other in a way that will continue to shape our world for the better.

Sincerely,

SM

Comments