Inspiration From Cucu (Grandma)

(Me and Grandma, Kenya, Circa 1989).

It's Friday afternoon, the sun is bright and the breeze is lovely. As I maneuvered through crowds of people on the sidewalk in the heart of Time Square, I couldn't help but hear voices from my late Grandma, as I saw bundles of joy being watched over by their Grandma, as they enjoyed ice cream within her reach. I couldn't help but remember the times I used to run around the village in Central Kenya barefooted, watching in admiration as my Grandma worked tirelessly between cleaning the home and going to her sanctuary...her farm.

She always kept a close eye on me and fed me with knowledge as if it was a part of my dietary regimen. This one particular day we went out and milked the Cows and took a nice long stroll to fetch water, me excitedly pushing the wheelbarrow as she quietly laughed, eyes beaming with love. She imparted wisdom on me that day as we reached our destination and sat on this bushy area that had two big stones, big enough of course to serve as chairs. She looked at me and said in our language "In this world you must learn two valuable things. You must know the right way to help yourself and how to serve others without any expectation."

I often times think of her, as she was the last of all my Grandparents to go. All my Grandparents in Kenya growing up as a young man in America, fed me with knowledge and principles whenever I would go back. They always warned me about selfishness and taught me about selflessness. Growing up seeing people poor and without shoes taught me a lot. Seeing people that didn't necessarily know how to help themselves was a great lesson for me.

I learn a lot about myself not by what I accomplish, but by how I'm able to impact someone else's life, no matter how small or grand the act. There are times when you mean well, you help or serve others and there isn't the slightest of appreciation. We're living too fast and in this day and age, Entitlement is ruining the foundation of our principles. However, as my Grandma told me, continue to do Gods work, you don't need to hear a "Thank You", you don't need "Acknowledgement". With every act of kindness and love, we are sowing seeds that today's society, today's generation and the generations to come will reap wholeheartedly and that matters a great deal.

My Four Commandments

  • If there are people you love, tell them you appreciate them.
  • If there are people out there that have helped you in any way, pay it forward.
  • Keep on helping others even if the treading on your tire is growing thin.
  • Don't let the past sour your present.. Just because someone didn't appreciate or was ungrateful yesterday, shouldn't mean that you stop doing good.

We're in this thing called life together. Remember, no man or woman is an island. Pride, ignorance, arrogance, negative energy all comes with a steep price.

Peace & Blessings,
SM

Comments