Mayhem Over Air Jordan 11 Concord


I admit, I was once a Jordan shoe wearer, and still have various models of his originals from the retro 1's to 15's. However, I haven't put on his shoe in over... six to seven years maybe. Why? Well with every Tom, Dick and Harry's infatuation with being "fresh", comes a steep price. That price is violence, which leads to someone losing their life, as a young teen did over this Air Jordan Retro 11 shoe in my home of Washington, D.C.

Fanatics were lined up all over the country, in order to be the "first" to have copped them. High blood pressure obviously is at an all-time high as people were cutting in line, blows thrown, pushing and shoving, and a whole lot of police intervention.

I get the hype, but I've never understood it quite frankly. It's a shoe.. or am I missing something? Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of my era, hands down, but I think much of the madness surrounding his shoe is a bit overblown.

Growing up in Washington, D.C., I've witnessed a lot of crazy things, violence included, over Avirex, Eddie Bauer jackets, foamposites, and air Jordans. It's fine to have your vices, and to be fashionably conscious, but when violence rears it's ugly head, it should lead to awareness on this matter.

I don't think NIKE or Jordan Brand can stop the madness surrounding their product, but I feel that speaking out on this issue, which has been prevalent for years, can at least tone things down in the future.

Peace.

Comments