What's In A Title?

CEO
President
COO
Vice President
Chairman
The list goes on...


Unless you're the boss of your own small/large business, chances are you work under someone of this title. Now, you may not answer to them directly, but you're under their umbrella.

Growing up, I flirted with where I thought I might be in life and what area of expertise I would lend my services to. However, I never really placed a priority on a title. Like OK, maybe in some few instances I've discussed in a tone slightly louder than a whisper that I wanted to be self-employed or the owner of my own business, but that's where it stopped.

At the age of 16, I received my first real job in Corporate America during the summer months, working for a company at the time called MCI World Com. It was an experience I didn't quite realize the magnitude of at the time, but it gave me a history that I can now refer to, if I ever needed it. I loved every minute of that job, and this wasn't a case where I was sent to get donuts for my coworkers. I was involved in the day to day procedures, ate lunch like everyone else and punched out at days end. However, as my tenure began to dwindle down and as I began to let the thought of returning to school play on me, I started to think other thoughts regarding my future down the line.

I had the opportunity to see how coworkers communicated, and how office managers conducted business on a daily basis. The one thing that was prevalent, was how those who were up in hierarchy treated those who were low on the totem pole. Those of upper hierarchy often talked in harsh undertones to the workers, meanwhile the workers would obey in a subservient manner, and follow through with what was asked. I often found it rather hilarious, how the workers would huddle in close corners every chance they got, gathered tightly almost as if they were discussing how to execute rules of engagement.

Fast forward to the present, everyone from low level worker to CEO treat their position/title as if it were ordained by GOD. At the end of our days on this earth, we will not be remembered by what our title was and how much money we made per year. We will be remembered by our deeds and how well we treated those who played some role or were in our lives at some point.


Yours Truly,

Comments