Where Will Darkness Lead Me/You?


As a kid, I was admittedly afraid of the dark. It's quite alarming now, in retrospect, how a young little guy, involved in Martial Arts and every other collision involved sport, would be scared of such a "thing". My only exercise, not school mandated of course, was to face my fears of the darkness. So, I used to walk down this particular tunnel that was so dark and reeked with the odor of armpit, alcohol and some of which I care not to expound on. It was a tough lesson as I would walk and walk, not knowing where I was headed, but with every step, I drew near to what I thought was light. As I continued a few steps toward what I made out to be light, It became apparent to me that either light had a smell or it was really miniscule. I stepped a bit closer and from a five foot distance, I realized that it was some lady smoking a cigarette. GREAT. I didn't know how to feel in my quest to meeting darkness face to face, but I only wished that the lesson could have been a bit harsher to say the least. It's safe to say that that is when I became unfazed with anything synonymous to darkness.

Many years later, where life now greets me in my young adulthood, I often think back and laugh at that memory. Not because my bouts with darkness were hilarious, but because I never knew how much I learned then, that I now apply to my life. You see, in this world, we often walk down a dark tunnel. Now there aren't any highway signs along the way telling you where to exit or forewarn you of the inevitable. We often panic down this lonely and indescribable road, clinging to every sense of positivity that we can, hoping for the best. It is the people who survive those times and bouts with darkness, that crossover and reap the rewards of those pronounced rays of light called sunshine. If you can see where you want to be, when society conveniently and momentarily dims your light, you have befriended the nature in which life governs.

Peace.

Comments