Inching Closer To A Dream...

As far back as I can remember, friends of mine have always had their own interpretation and mental visualization of how Africa is. Some think animals walk rampantly in the street or that everyone lives in poverty or that some countries do not have some special quality to it, that allow for outsiders to flock in and salvage the knowledge they seek. Some call it ignorance, but I simply characterize such as being uninformed or rather misguided. Today, I met with one of the movie producers/filmmakers in Nairobi, Kenya in my quest to erasing such notions about a country everyone knows about....for reasons pertaining to marathon runners and wildlife.

Networks such as CNN do not cover much of Kenya in depth as say Iraq and other war torn stricken countries, and other networks fall into the same category of monotony. In fact, as funny as this may sound, the closest thing to the truth, in regards to Kenya's perception from the outside in is the Discovery Channel, and even that has flaws.

Now, things are tentative as we had our first of talks today, but my vision is to create something centered around a happy, feel good story, highlighting positive points. The one thing Kenya doesn't get noted for is the creativity people here possess. Today I saw a woman make floor mats out of plastic bags! Are you kidding me? I also saw a group of men making necklaces and ornaments out of COW bones. This is truly a site to see!!

God willing, I WILL deviate from showing the typical imagery of kids with flies over their faces, and focus more on what goes under the radar. There is so much resourceful information that people lack in regards to Kenya. It's almost as if a large majority of people are malnourished from the lack of truth Television fails to expose. God willing, if things go well, I will bring forth a short piece you would all find intriguing. Bet on that!

Until next time,
Peace*Love&God Bless
One Love,
-Mwangi-

Comments